Please check and save the schedule of general sessions. Invitations to the sessions will be sent by the School via email.
Additional School sessions are provided on the official website of the Schools:
- School of Engineering and Digital Sciences
- School of Sciences and Humanities
- School of Mining and Geosciences
- School of Medicine
NOTE: all bachelor students who graduated from Russian or English language schools need to take the Kazakh Language Placement Test to identify their proficiency level. The test duration is 1hour 20min and it will be open on Moodle from 9.00 to 23.59 on Monday, August 9th.
For more info about KLPT please refer to these instructions.
Check out the information below to become prepared in advance for Orientation Week, write down your questions and ask them during the live Zoom sessions.
The Academic Advising Office (AAO) works with first year undergraduate students. AAO provides assistance in course selection and course registration, supports students with academic difficulties, provides personalized advising which considers the special needs of each student and makes referrals to relevant offices, when necessary.
The role of an academic advisor is to guide, provide students with necessary information and monitor the process of their academic progression. Academic advisors also help students in explaining the academic policies and procedures of NU and the degree requirements, they evaluate student progress and provide information about available resources on campus. Students have the opportunity to receive individual consultation and attend group sessions with their academic advisors during the academic year.
Department of Student Services
The Department of Student Services (DSS) provides services to promote student success, personal and professional development.
We strive to create a collaborative, holistic, inclusive and supportive environment and experiences for students to develop leadership skills and become contributing members of the NU community and beyond.
We help students in their transition to the university and adaptation to campus life and support them in navigating their non-academic and social life.
NU Library provides a wide range of resources and services that will enable you to be effective and successful in your research and learning.
We have put together the basics you need to know on the Library Orientation webpage:
- access rich collection of electronic and print resources;
- ask a librarian online anytime, anywhere;
- develop research and study skills;
- find your subject librarian.
Kazakh language placement test (Bachelor only)
Students who graduated from Russian or English language schools need to take the Kazakh Language Placement Test to identify their proficiency level. The test duration is 1hour 20min and it will be open on Moodle from 9.00 to 23.59 on Monday, August 9th.
For more info about KLPT please refer to the instructions. Also, check out the Moodle instructions prior to taking KLPT.
Peer to peer experience : Meet your peer advisers
Web sites of departments:
On-campus accommodation, relocation, room and roommate selection
Student Leadership & Involvement
All questions related to the student events and Student Organizations support
Code of Conduct, Dormitory Rules, confidential support
Military enlistment, enrollment verification for local military services, military registration document
Socially Vulnerable Category
Support for SVC students
If you have questions, please refer to the contact list below:
+7 (717) 2 69 26 69
+7 (717) 2 69 46 28
+7 (717) 2 70 94 07
Foundation and Undergraduate admissions
+7 (717) 2 70 59 76
Student bank account and cards, stipend, payment
+7 (717) 2 70 91 99
Student and academic affairs
+7 (717) 2 70 60 56
Career and Advising Center
Career and advising, student employment
+7 (717) 2 70 65 38
Academic advising Office
+7 (717) 2 70 66 38
/+7 (717) 2 70 64 20
+7 (717) 2 69 45 67
+7 (717) 2 70 60 37
+7(717) 70 60 74
Department of International Cooperation
Visa related matters, migration
+7 (717) 2 69 27 01
Sandra Real Avila
+7 (717) 2 70 64 11
Office of the Registrar
Registration and Scheduling
+7 (717) 2 70 60 67
+7 (717) 2 70 65 29
University Healthcare Department
Occupational health manager
+7 (717) 2 70 58 59
Health insurance “Jusant Garant”
Insurance related issues
+7 (775) 007 84 95
+7(717) 2 69 27 27
University Health Center
+7 (717) 2 69 26 16
Health and Wellness Center
+7 (717) 2 70 57 35
Bachelor of Medical Science
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Bachelor in Nursing
+7 (717) 2 69 63 80
Don’t miss these dates!
August 9 – Beginning of Orientation Week; Kazakh Language Placement Test
August 11 – Registration opens for courses in the Fall’21 semester
August 16 – First day of classes, beginning of the Fall’21 semester
August 25 – Drop deadline
August 27 – Add deadline
Bank card and Student ID card
Your bank card and Student ID card are incorporated for your convenience. You will receive SMS from the Jysan bank that your card is ready. Please remember you will pick up your card at the Jysan bank branch in your hometown (at the address you indicated in your application, the link to the application previously sent with the instruction for documents submission). Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us by emailing us at email@example.com.
Nazarbayev University provides financial assistance options available for our students. The stipends are awarded to NU students based on their academic performance in accordance with the criteria set by Regulations on stipend support provision to students of the autonomous organization of education “Nazarbayev University”.
The purpose of stipend support provision to students is to stimulate research, teaching, and learning activities of conscientious students of the University, to provide social (financial) support to students, as well as partially covering their expenses during their study.
The “Nazarbayev University” Stipend
The “Nazarbayev University” Stipend is awarded to students who are studying under the “Nazarbayev University” educational grant. During the first semester of study, the “Nazarbayev University” Stipend is awarded to bachelor students unconditionally and is paid on a monthly basis. In the following semesters, the “Nazarbayev University” Stipend is awarded to bachelor students by the results of the examination session in accordance with criteria set in the Regulations.
Students studying under NUFYP and NUZYP programs receive the “Nazarbayev University” Stipend (paid on a monthly basis) for the entire program of study.
«Abay Kunanbayev» and «Ybyray Altynsarin» stipends
«Abay Kunanbayev» and «Ybyray Altynsarin» stipends were established by the University and funded by the University and/or its organizations. “Abay Kunanbayev’” stipend awarded to international students enrolled in the University. These stipends are paid under the criteria set in the Regulations on stipend support provision.
The amount of the Nazarbayev University Stipend is determined by the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The size of the Nazarbayev University stipend is standard for «Abay Kunanbayev» and «Ybyray Altynsarin» stipends.
Criteria for Awarding and Payment the Nazarbayev University Stipend, «Abay Kunanbayev» and «Ybyray Altynsarin» stipends
Category of students
Type of stipend
Center for Preparatory Studies
For the whole period
Stipend for CPS students – 22 258 tenge
School of Sciences and Humanities,
School of Engineering and Digital Sciences,
School of Mining and Geosciences,
School of Medicine
GPA 3,67 and above
Increased stipend for bachelor students – 30 114 tenge
GPA 2,33 – 3,66
Stipend for bachelor students – 26 186 tenge
For the most up to date information on stipend opportunities, please refer to Bursar’s office: work phones: +7 (7172) 70 60 86, 70 60 32, 70 91 99, 70 90 27, office 5034 Block C2, еmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
NU has an online course registration system. Students can register courses in consultation with their academic advisors and based on their degree plans. Please visit the registrar’s webpage for more information.
- All students have to follow Add/Drop/Withdrawal deadlines. They are indicated in the Academic Calendar under “Quick Links” at registrar.nu.edu.kz
- The University conducts online registration on a priority basis. Priority can be given by School, major and/or year of study. The date on which registration is opened for each priority group will be indicated in the notice for the start of registration each semester/term.
- For undergraduate programs in the fall and spring semesters the minimum course load is 24 ECTS credits, the maximum – 36 ECTS credits. In the summer term the minimum course load is 2 ECTS credits, the maximum – 16 ECTS credits. Students who progressed conditionally from NUFYP or who are on probationary status should not be registering for more than 28 ECTS credits. Students need to consult with their academic advisor on this matter.
- Some courses have pre-/co-/anti-requisites. Only students who fulfill these requirements can register for the course with requisites. Otherwise, the system will not allow students to register. List of requisites is available under the “Quick links” section on registrar.nu.edu.kz.
- Most courses require registration priorities which open registration only for a specific group of students. Priorities are based on School/year of study/major of the student. For students outside of the current priority, such courses will be marked in red as unavailable in the “Course Registration” module on myRegistrar. The list of priorities is available under the “Quick links” section on registrar.nu.edu.kz.
- It is recommended to check all the course requirements (requisites and priorities) prior to registration opens for students.
- All students are required to send their personal schedules to their advisors for approval. Schedules are not considered valid until approved by students’ advisors.
- There is a Waiting list (WL) function for courses where all the seats are fully occupied. If the course is full and has a WL, a student can register for its WL the same way as for a course with available seats. If some other student drops out of the course, the first student on the WL will be automatically registered for that released seat. Subsequently, the student receives a corresponding email from the registrar system.
- For any questions regarding course schedules, please contact your School Office.
This webpage contains brief information and links to IT services for students. We hope this information will be helpful to you!
For communication with faculty and other members of the NU Community you will need a corporate email – please visit https://mail.google.com/ and login using credentials sent to your personal email earlier. Check your personal mailbox periodically, there will be instructions on how to access your student mail account in the form email@example.com and your user credentials to other IT resources. From the moment you have access to your mail account, use it to contact the University services.
During the learning process, you will need access to the following information systems and resources:
- Corporate PCs – all domain computers of the University;
- https://moodle.nu.edu.kz – is a University electronic course management system (virtual learning environment). LMS Moodle is utilized by students and faculty in order to perform such tasks as an exchange of files, audio and video data,messaging, chat activities, forums, online quizzes and etc.; Pay special attention to Moodle, the entire learning process is closely related to Moodle. In the Moodle environment you will receive assignments and take homework, receive grades. This is one of the required resources that you must use for study. Moodle Instructions(link)
- https://registrar.nu.edu.kz – is an automated information system designed to automate the academic and internal processes of the University in terms of coordination, studying in the disciplines taught, registering all of their and academic disciplines throughout the training period;
- https://library.nu.edu.kz – provides access to the Nazarbayev University Library’s resources and services;
- https://my.nu.edu.kz – student portal;
- https://prs.nu.edu.kz – you can recover password using the Password Recovery Service.
Learn more here on how to login to the NU information systems and services.
Here you can find answers to FAQs about the IT resources.
The first thing you need to know where to go if you have technical problems is helpdesk.
If you have any questions, you can contact the IT Help Desk via: +7 (7172) 70-62-00, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for secure online learning
- Have an antivirus with real time monitoring capability installed on all your devices that have Internet access. Perform regular full scans; scan every downloaded file.
- Computers work under a user account, not an admin. Use an admin role only when it is needed, such as software installation/removal.
- Do not browse through web sites with adult/untrustworthy content since they can contain malware. Avoid addresses that start with http://, instead look for https:// (secure ones)
- Do not download/install counterfeit software, it can have malware inside that not every antiviral package can detect.
- Do install patches and update all your software including Operating System, this will reduce vulnerabilities.
- Do guard your personal information. Do not share your passwords with anyone.
Tips to fight Phishing Email Threats: *
- Avoid strangers, check name and email address
- Don’t rush, be suspicious of emails marked “urgent”
- Notice mistakes in spelling and grammar
- Beware of generic greetings, “dear sir/ma’am”
- Don’t be lured by incredible “deals”
- Hover over the link before you click to ensure it has a secure URL (https://)
- Never give out personal or financial information based on an email request
- Don’t trust links or attachments in unsolicited emails
Live Zoom session for International students (Introduction to Kazakh culture and traditions): August 10
Time: 5-6 pm (Kazakhstan time)
Participants: Office of International Students and Scholars Services, Cultural Center «Rukhani Zhangyru», Department of Student Services, senior international students and new international students.
Description: This session will be focused on providing to international students an introduction to Kazakhstan by sharing basic information about the country, traditions, cuisine, cultural values, etiquette norms, games, etc. Additionally, there will be a small part of the session dedicated to international students´ engagement and contributions to NU life with the participation of 2-3 senior international students or alumni who will briefly share their experiences living in Kazakhstan and studying at NU. This live session pretends to achieve an early engagement of the new students before arrival to Kazakhstan through cultural exchange and mentorship involvement.
Welcome to Kazakhstan
ARRIVING IN A NEW COUNTRY can result in both practical and personal issues. Especially arriving in a non-common destination for study purposes such as Kazakhstan. But you do not have to worry!
Once you have arrived, your perspective will totally change! You will learn to love this multinational country, home of more than 130 nationalities, you will fall in love with the people and the hospitality, make life-lasting friendships, explore the beautiful landscapes, and learn about the rich history and millennial traditions of Kazakhstan!
Before taking your flight to Kazakhstan, make sure to invest part of your free time to watch any of these films and videos to start getting acquainted with Kazakh traditions, landscapes of the country, and culture, plus what to expect in Nur Sultan city.
In 1729 Kazakhstan, a ferocious Mongol tribe sweeps across the Steppes. A young man named Sartai assembles a detachment of young warriors and leads them into battle to free his country from decades of terror.
Director: Akan Satayev.
Cast: Ayan Utepbergenov, Assylkhan Tolepov.
Genre: Action, adventure, drama.
Link (with English subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJlYHdsteDA
Diamond Sword is a large-scale historical drama of first Kazakh Khans, which BBC called “Kazakh Game of Thrones”. The action takes place in the XV century, and the plot demonstrates the key events in formation of Kazakh statehood under the leadership of Khans Zhanibek and Kerey.
Director: Rustem Abdrashev.
Cast: Kayrat Kemalo, Doskhan Zholzhaksynov.
Genre: Action, adventure, drama.
Link (with English subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxYovFils-g
If you watched the French film “Paris, I love you”, the American “New York, I love you”, the Russian “Moscow, I love you!” Then, imagine what this picture will be about. Ten beautiful stories – vital, magical, incredible, amazing, that occur with different residents of Astana (nowadays Nur Sultan city).
Director: Egor Konchalovskiy.
Cast: Sergey Nikonenko, Natalya Hodus, Bibigul Syunshalina.
Genre: Romance, drama.
Do you want to see the beautiful landscapes of Kazakhstan and what is like to live in Nur Sultan city? Make sure to check out these videos!
The landscapes of Kazakhstan
An expat perspective in Nur Sultan city
International student community at Nazarbayev University
Welcome new members of the community!
Here at NU, we celebrate our diverse student and staff communities. Currently, our international student group has representatives from 27 different countries:
You will become a cultural ambassador and help us in inviting more students to join us. Allow us to welcome you to the NU family!
We are looking forward to assisting you and supporting you with academic and non-academic activities, providing facilities for a comfortable study and living experience, giving you peer assistance of local and senior international students plus mentorship by staff members, and making your adaptation process to Kazakhstan and Nur Sultan city go smoothly.
We wish you a pleasant stay, have fun, learn a lot, meet amazing people, and enjoy your experience with us!
Experience Nazarbayev University international student contributions from home
Would you like to find more inspiration in what our international students enjoy about NU the most in terms of facilities, academic experience, and engagement on campus activities? Check out these videos!
Stories of NU fresh students from all over the world
Welcome words of international students from Italy, UK, Russia, and Mexico.
Yuan Gao´s graduation speech
International student alumni (China), MA in Eurasian Studies, class of 2016.
You should speak Qazaqsha
International students from Japan, Bangladesh, Mexico, and USA enjoying the experience of learning Kazakh during the Summer School of Russian and Eurasian Studies (June 2019):
Why study at NU?
Testimony of international students from Turkey and Mexico:
NU international students blog
Check why so many students have chosen to join us from abroad! Students from the USA, Nigeria and Mexico share their experiences.
Support services for international students
Health and Wellness Center (HWC)
The center offers psychological assistance in the form of one-to-one counseling for the entire NU community. Please take a look at the services our HWC offers to help you with your well-being and adaptation in your new country at any time.
Pursuing a degree and keeping the NU community safe while coping COVID-19 pandemic is our goal. In the presentation, you may learn proactive and active measures implemented in NU including testing, vaccination, risk assessment, quarantine and isolation, and etc. Besides COVID-19 prevention, information on healthcare services and health insurance will aim you to stay resilient, healthy and enjoy your time with NU. We work in cooperation with “Jusan Garant” and UMC Мedical Аssistance to provide students with a wide variety of health services.
Office of International Students and Scholar services
Do you need to get a visa or not to study in Kazakhstan?
Make sure to check if you need to get a student visa to enter Kazakhstan or not before starting with any migration procedure. Know about your rights with migration as an international student depending on your country of origin. Students with permanent residence in Kazakhstan should also pay attention to the indications we give on this presentation.
How to get a visa, registration with the authorities and migration issues in Kazakhstan
It is mandatory for everyone to see this content, even if you don’t need a visa to come to Kazakhstan. Before arrival to Kazakhstan, everyone should learn the process of registration with migration authorities, learn the rules you should comply with while being holder of a student visa in Kazakhstan, plus how to renew your visa before the expiration date.
How to open a bank account?
Here we provide information on how to open a bank account, when and where you can take your bank card, what to do in case your card is stolen or lost and how not to lose your stipend.
Useful contacts in Nazarbayev University for international students
Use this chart as a referral guide to the many student services on campus and contact information of staff members that will assist you:
Name and position
Department and division
Lines of work
International students’ liaison Manager
Office of International Students and Scholars Services
Support international students in settling at Nur Sultan city
Visa and Immigration consultation
Advising in non-academic issues
Integration into the NU community (wellbeing)
Peer support of senior international students to new students
Visa and Inmigration Officer
Office of International Students and Scholars Services
Visa and immigration consultation, IIN assistance (for opening a bank account)
Support international students in settling in Nur Sultan city
Cultural center “Rukhany Zhangyru”
Promotion of Kazakh culture
Organization of Kazakh culture events on campus
Kazakh culture days for international students
Health and Wellness Center (HWC)
Career and Advising Center
Career and advising, student employment
Stipend, application form to open a bank account
NU international student guidelines
Everything you need to know about expenses for life in Nur Sultan, accommodation, and facilities at NU: link